Thursday, January 26, 2012

Is ignorance really bliss???

I get really frustrated these days with how little I actually know!! For years I could rely on a good sense of humour and dare I say it...looks...to get through a conversation.  As the years have passed, not quite so gently I realise that I know very little about what's going on around me.  In the middle of last year I decided to rectify my ignorant knowledge of geography and learn where all the countries were.  Thanks to Sporcle, I managed to finally identify all the countries and where they were situated.  I thought I was extremely smart until one very cool customer asked me the capital of a European country.  Alas I did not know.  Next mission was to memorise all the capitals.  Done!!! Same cool customer then asked me about the language of a European country.  Bummer!!! I could tell him where the country was and what was the capital but I couldn't even fathom what the culture was.  Now I am on a spree of learning about each individual country.  I thought alphabetically might be the way to do it or geographically.  I have started!! I have chosen the alphabet way!! It's like being back at school and doing one of those horrible assignments where you get teamed up with some git and have to come up with the most informational and artistic poster on some country. (I was always the one doing the pictures!!!)
When I get through the A-Z of countries I will then start another mission where I am so carelessly unlearned.  Believe me!!!!! There are a billion of subjects that I know nothing (and I mean absolutely nothing!!!) about.  I totally admire people like Stephen Fry who knows absolutely everything there is to know and presents it in such a fantastic manner.  Funny but informative.
So my mission for 2012, should I choose to accept it, is to learn about all 200 countries. But for the mean time, I really need to get with the current events!!! That my friend is a whole other blog!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment